We all know the importance of having a smoke detector in our home, but what about a carbon monoxide detector?
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be lethal. Carbon monoxide can build up in your home whenever you burn fuel from a stove, grill, furnace, fire place or from your vehicles in the garage. Obviously, we need to use these appliances every day, as well as drive a vehicle, so how can we keep safe?
Simple tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
- Install a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home. Check the batteries every 6 months, however, it should alert you with a beep with batteries are low.
- Ensure you get your fuel burning appliances checked every year by a qualified technician. You should get in the habit of looking for rust on vents or loose/disconnected pipes on appliances like your water heater, heating system or any other gas, oil or wood/coal burning appliance.
- Use portable gas stoves or burn charcoal outside only.
- Keep generators outside and away from open windows only. Using them in a garage or carport can be dangerous.
- Don’t attempt to heat your house temporarily by turning on your oven or gas stove.
- Get your chimney checked every year. Debris can block your chimney and cause carbon monoxide to build up in your home. You can check your chimney yourself for any cracks.
- Never leave your car running while it sits in the garage.
Did you know they make a battery operated combination detector for both a smoke and carbon monoxide? Combination detectors can save space and batteries in addition to lives.
Even a single carbon monoxide detector in your home could save lives. If you rent a home or apartment that does not currently have a carbon monoxide detector, ask your landlord to provide one. Many states require that homes have them installed. Review your state laws here.